Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Some details Denise and I discussed by telephone yesterday:

  1. The concept of "billionaire" administrators drinking champagne and protesting "improvements" for part time faculty.
  • job security
  • equal pay for equal work
  • benefits
  • inclusion in the campus community
2. They could protest equal treatment of students
  • Students don't deserve instructors who have office hours
  • who have professional development
  • who are paid to grade student papers
  • who have paid prep time
  • all of which full time faculty have (and more)
3. They could drink champagne and insist that
  • only 1 in 5 students is entitled to meet with an instructor and get help with problems
  • it's very OK for a student to meet an instructor next to a trash can, in the hallway, or in the instructor's automobile.
  • Students aren't entitled to learn through the class schedule which instructor might not offer them full service from the district
  • students don't deserve equality and what they don't know won't hurt them
  • student success at community college campuses is dropping due to lousy educational service but everyone should blame part time faculty as lousy instructors . . . not the administration for failing to provide equal service
  • if the budget goes bad, cut classes and PT faculty, not administrative budgets.
There's more, I'm sure . . . and I know we can't include all of these details or the message becomes too complex. However, I hope these ideas give Clifford some fodder to work with, and I would love to see him post here and tell us what he thinks!

Pamela

1 comment:

  1. That will be challenging to make all that funny. I wanted to add another problem I'm dealing with this week. I start new classes on Monday and I will be teaching at 715am but I plan to get to class at 645am to set up the projector, laptop, write on the board, etc. They have not given me a key and I haven't been able to get a key so I was told to "call the police department" whenever I want someone to let me into the classroom. I also have to call the police to let me into the admin. office because that's where the SmartCarts are. Oh dear. I guess I will be getting chummy with the police. They have keys to all the rooms. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete